How often does it happen that you finally manage to find the optimal solution which in turn leads to a newer problem? Quite often, right. The same applies to kitchen appliances where once you find the right gadget for your kitchen leads you to compatibility issues with other products.
Such has been the case that we keep hearing from the customers when it comes to cooking rice in the microwave ovens. The day you bought your favorite microwave, among other things, you had imagined uniformly cooked-fluffy rice. But, as it turns out, some dreams are not realized. Not that simple.
Don’t worry, because every solution that had led to another problem, to begin with, also leads to newer solutions. Errr.. without sounding so complicated what I mean to say is that the best solution to make that dreamy fluffy rice of yours, get yourself a microwave rice cooker. It definitely makes life simpler, much simpler.
- 1 Why buy a Microwave Rice Cooker?
- 2 Summary- Our List of Top Microwave Rice Cookers
- 3 Top 8 Microwave Rice Cookers Recommended by Users and Experts
- 3.1 #1 Prep Solutions by Progressive Microwaveable Rice and Pasta Cooker
- 3.2 # 2 Good Cook 11 Cup Microwave Rice Cooker
- 3.3 # 3 Home-X Microwave Rice Cooker, 10 Cup Cooker
- 3.4 # 4 Joseph Joseph 45002 M-Cuisine Microwave Rice Cooker
- 3.5 # 5 Sistema Microwave Collection Rice Cooker
- 3.6 # 6 Tupperware MICROWAVE Rice Maker Cooker Steamer
- 3.7 # 7 Norpro Microwave Rice Cooker
- 3.8 # 8 Nordicware 64000 Microwave Rice Cooker Cup Cookware
- 4 Buyer’s Guide to choosing the best microwave rice cooker:
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
Why buy a Microwave Rice Cooker?
Being a dedicated device, the whole and sole purpose of a microwave rice cooker is, you guessed it right, to cook the perfect rice in a microwave. Not all your regular heating pots will get you the desired results but with a microwave rice cooker, you get exactly what you want.
One of the most important factors that should motivate anyone to go for a microwave rice cooker is the fact that most of these products are made from BPA free plastic which means that you shouldn’t worry about chemicals getting dissipated into your food. Modern designs of such cookers enable them to get cleaned easily in a dishwasher. As a result, you get safe, convenient, hassle-free cooking and cleaning.
Psst… even though these cookers are specialized for rice making, you can also make pasta, create stews, boil soups and heat other liquid foods in them. All the more reason for you to order go out and buy (read ‘Order online’) these must-have kitchen appliances.
Next up, you will wonder which microwave rice cooker is the best buy. Don’t worry; we will help you with that too. We went through an entire range of products available in the market and have shortlisted the few top-notch cookers that we think are the best choices.
Before heading further, you may also opt for our latest recommendation in the rice cooker space: 7 Best Mini Rice Cooker For Brown Rice – A Definitive Guide [Latest]
If you are really curious about figuring out which is the best and most efficient way of cooking rice for you and your family, do check out this link.
Summary- Our List of Top Microwave Rice Cookers
#1 Prep Solutions by Progressive Microwaveable Rice and Pasta Cooker-17 Piece Set Includes Measuring Spoons and Cups, Rice Paddle, Steaming Insert, Pasta Measurer and Locking Lid-12 Cup Capacity BPA FREE – Super product with super accessories.
#2 Good Cook 11 Cup Microwave Rice Cooker, White – A hidden gem.
#4 Joseph Joseph 45002 M-Cuisine Microwave Rice Cooker – Wins you the bragging rights.
#5 Sistema Microwave Collection Rice Cooker, 87.2 oz./2.6 L, Red – Mr. Popular.
#6 Tupperware MICROWAVE Rice Maker Cooker Steamer – An old but competitive horse in the race.
#7 Norpro Microwave Rice Cooker, 11-Cup, White – No-fuss kitchenware.
#8 Nordicware Microwave Rice Cooker Cup Cookware, 8.5, White – Cannot be ignored.
How about scanning through 8 Best Hand Press Juicers – The Ultimate Guide [Updated]
Top 8 Microwave Rice Cookers Recommended by Users and Experts
Okay, so there can be a hundred options to choose from, even for us. But, we have tried to narrow down the list based on various factors.
Here we will present to you the top 8 microwave rice cookers that are under $25 which we feel should be the top mark for a product like this.
We advise you to follow the instructions mentioned on such appliances very carefully because we don’t want such products to overheat in a microwave thereby causing safety hazards.
#1 Prep Solutions by Progressive Microwaveable Rice and Pasta Cooker
- PERFECT FOR ALL TYPES OF RICE: The Prep Solutions Micorwave Rice and Pasta Cooker is designed specifically for cooking and reheating your favorite rice in the...
- LOCKING LID PREVENT SPILLS & MESSES: Featuring an easy locking lid that secures tightly and prevents spills and messes while preparing your food
- 12-CUP CAPACITY COOKS RICE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: This microwave rice cooker has a 12 cup capacity which is large enough to cook for the whole family and can...
- USE AS A VEGETABLE STEAMER AND MORE!: Includes a Pasta Draining insert, Vegetable Steaming insert, Measuring Cups and Spoons and can be used in many different...
- DISHWASHER SAFE AND BPA FREE: The rice cooker is BPA FREE and is Dishwasher safe (Top Rack Recommended)
This is a leading performer in the amazing tiny world of microwave rice cookers. It is specifically designed to cook all kinds of rice and pasta. Not only is this suited for cooking but it makes a great choice for reheating purposes as well.
My favorite part about this bestseller is a 17-Piece set which includes a pasta draining insert, steaming insert, pasta measurer, 6 measuring cups, 4 measuring spoons, a rice paddle and a locking lid that is designed to avoid spills and messes.
With the cooker, you get some useful accessories and thereby making this Prep Solutions cooker a versatile product to own since it easily doubles up as a vegetable steamer and a pasta cooker.
Highs: Versatility, Durability, Easy to clean, Easy to use, Accessories, Value for Money
Lows: Thickness, Making perfect pasta.
# 2 Good Cook 11 Cup Microwave Rice Cooker
- 11 cup capacity
- Includes handle for scooping
- Rice Cooker is BPA Free
- Dishwasher safe
- 100 % satisfaction guarantee
Going through all kinds of reviews and comparisons, what I figured out was that this is one of those hidden gems that are not out at the front but keeps on doing its job silently. The Good Cook Microwave Rice Cooker guarantees a lot of satisfaction that can be reflected by the happy customers that chose it.
What really makes me recommend this lightweight cooker is its sturdy design and durable BPA free plastic material that make it long-lasting. Even though the cooking time depends on the wattage of your microwave, this rice cooker has been rated high among different users.
Like most of the microwave rice cookers in this category, this one too comes with a scooping handle and the lid clips ensure proper sealing for lossless heating.
* Has shown good results with 1200W Microwave Ovens.
Highs: Durability, Ease of Cleaning, Ease of Use, Heat & Flavor Retention
# 3 Home-X Microwave Rice Cooker, 10 Cup Cooker
- GREAT TO COOK OR REHEAT ALL TYPES OF RICE: Our microwave rice cooker is designed specifically for cooking and reheating in the microwave. Pressure chamber...
- MAKES COOKING RICE EASY & HASSLE-FREE: Simply add rice and water according to directions. Place inner and out lids on top, and microwave about 15 mins. The...
- EASY LOCK CLIPS PREVENT SPILLS & MESSES: Features easy locking clips that secure tightly. Built-in steam release vents in the lid provide splatter-free heating...
- TEN CUP CAPACITY COOKS RICE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: This microwave rice cooker has a 10 cup capacity and includes rice paddle for serving. It measures...
- ABOUT HOME-X: Home-X offers a vast collection of products perfect for the home or office. Whether you’re looking for gadgets to simplify cleaning, cooking, or...
Frankly, I like the dual lid systems. This dual lid system that helps in creating a pressure chamber inside that lets steam escape gradually through its lid vents. This ensures that you get fluffy rice that is evenly cooked each time.
This neat one-pot rice cooker works very good with oatmeal as well. And as far as rice is concerned, you get 1 cup of fluffy rice when cooked with 2 cups of water. The cooker comes with a rice paddle and is made of good quality plastic which is microwave, fridge and freezer safe.
All-in-all, I believe that this Home-X microwave rice cooker is an amazing kitchen accessory to have and it makes a great gift for your mom or aunt when you visit them next.
Highs: Design, Versatility, Ease of Use, Ease of Cleanliness, Cost-Benefit
Lows: Small Size, Handle Quality
# 4 Joseph Joseph 45002 M-Cuisine Microwave Rice Cooker
- Measure, wash, cook and serve perfectly fluffy rice and grains in one
- Set comprises of 2 L cooking pot, colander, measuring cup and multi-purpose rice paddle
- Rice paddle can lock the pot lid whilst providing two convenient carrying handles
- Paddle also can be used as a spoon for fluffing and serving cooked rice
- Dishwasher safe
Coming from the M-Cuisine range of cookware, the Joseph Joseph or the JJ (the way I like putting it) microwave rice cooker is conveniently designed for cooking and reheating rice perfectly.
Comprising of a large 2 L cooking pot, it also comes with a colander, a measuring cup and a rice paddle that acts as a lid lock as well as two convenient carry handles. This being small in size fits into smaller microwaves as well and gives the desired results. Although some people might see it as a deal-breaker, but I think being small makes things convenient.
In addition to this, you also get a small recipe book that broadens your cooking ideas and expands the purview of cooking in this little pot.
*Instructions and time to cook are mentioned for 800W Microwave Ovens.
Highs: Flavor Retention, Ease of Use, Ease of Cleaning,
Lows: Small Size, Expensive,
Check out this interesting article on microwaves form the 1980’s : https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/food/1987/01/14/america-turns-on-to-the-microwave-oven/525edb79-fbc5-4d8b-a2a6-8211e7845d3e/
# 5 Sistema Microwave Collection Rice Cooker
- Microwave rice steamer designed to cook rice, polenta, and couscous
- Steam release vent on lid allows for splatter-free heating
- Cool-to-the-touch, easy-lift tabs for easy opening of the rice cooker
- 100% virgin plastic; phthalate- and BPA-free
- Top-rack dishwasher-safe; fridge- and freezer-safe; microwave-safe with the vent open
The Sistema Microwave Collection Rice Cooker is designed specifically to cook rice, polenta, and couscous in the microwave. What I observed is that it has a pressure chamber plate which is included in this steamer. This helps in collecting any liquid overflow that gets drained back and stored into the base chamber.
This is one of the popular microwave rice cooker is dishwasher, refrigerator and freezer safe. It comes with easy to lift tabs that also serve as the handles to lift this steamer from either end.
I love the fact that it is made with 100% virgin plastic, this BPA- and phthalate-free rice cooker is one of the safest bets when it comes to cooking in any microwave.
*It is advisable to not add any oil or butter while cooking/reheating this rice cooker.
Highs: Material Quality, Durability, Ease of Cleaning, Ease of Use, Light-weight
# 6 Tupperware MICROWAVE Rice Maker Cooker Steamer
- Microwave up to 4 Cups.
- Microwave and Dishwasher Safe.
Think kitchenware and one of the first names that pop-up in my head is Tupperware. Known for its commanding presence in the kitchen storage category, Tupperware gets you its flagship Microwave rice maker. Since the brand, over decades, has established itself as a durable, good quality, long-lasting products, this product too continues the brand tradition further.
This BPA-free plastic steamer comes with clear water line marks that make the instructions to use easy for the end-user. Set with a lockable lid, this one also packs in a recipe book for your perusal.
Keep it simple silly! This is the mantra that I believe works best. This easy to use cooker steamer complies to that and with cooking directions for 9 different kinds of rice and grains, this quite a versatile product in its category.
Highs: Material Quality, Durability, Ease of Cleaning, Ease of Use, Versatility
Lows: Doesn’t provide a rice paddle, Comparatively expensive
# 7 Norpro Microwave Rice Cooker
- Make delicious, quality rice with this convenient rice cooker.
- Circulates heat and traps moisture for even cooking.
- Set includes cooker, lid, measuring cup and spoon.
- Made of heavy duty BPA free plastic; heat resistant and easy to clean.
- Recipes and instructions included.
Constructed with BPA free plastic this Norpro microwave rice cooker is heat resistant that makes it ideal for microwave heating. The company that was founded almost five decades ago continues to deliver top-class kitchenware.
Upon comparing different features, I realized that this one is aggressively priced and is one of the top contenders when it comes to the category of microwave rice cookers. This comes with a measuring cup, rice spoon and a lid that entraps heat and maintains moisture within the cooker.
I also like the fact that recipes and instructions are also included with this light-weight cooker. Overall, this is one of the good makes to own as a part of your kitchen accessories.
Highs: Good Design, Durability, Ease of Cleaning, Ease of Use
Lows: Plastic is a little flimsy, Lacks Versatility
# 8 Nordicware 64000 Microwave Rice Cooker Cup Cookware
- Cooks rice in minutes
- Great for Vegetables and pasta
- 8 cup capacity
- Dishwasher safe
- Simple and fast
Voila! I found another reputed brand names to make it on the list. The Nordicware 64000 microwave rice cooker is a great buy not only for cooking rice but for cooking Pasta and steaming vegetables as well.
Built with really good BPA-free plastic, this product handles relatively high temperatures with ease. This rice cooker has a good internal heat storage mechanism that helps in cooking the rice fairly quick.
With over a decade-and-a-half in production, this cooker has been around for a long time and has found many satisfied customers across the globe.
* For best results cook the rice at 50% of microwave power for about 12 minutes.
Highs: Good Design, Versatility, Ease of Cleaning, Ease of Use
Lows: The lid is break-prone leading to the bubbling of the liquid outside.
Click to check if you have the right dishwasher in your kitchen: 7 Best Quietest and Silent Dishwasher: Complete Guide
Buyer’s Guide to choosing the best microwave rice cooker:
The key to cooking the perfect fluffy rice that is evenly cooked requires proper heating. Thus, heat retention becomes a prime factor when it comes to selecting a microwave rice cooker. The sturdier and the more durable the design and material, the better it is to buy that product.
- Price: Since most of these rice cookers are designed to work in extremely high temperatures; they make use of good quality plastic. Also, the difference between the performances of most of the brands is minimal. Thus, the price point becomes the deciding factor.
- Accessories: Furthermore, it cannot be denied that a good accessory package adds tremendous value to any deal. The accessories are not only restricted to a particular rice cooker but can extend their use in other cooking and baking efforts.
- Instruction Manuals: You should definitely check out the online manual instructions of any/ all of the brands as in many cases they specify the wattage of the microwaves with which the specific product is compatible. Since each household has different wattage, you must check which microwave rice cooker suits you best.
- Versatility: Again, it will come down to what the end-user is buying the product for. In case you want to make the most out of the rice cookers and want to experiment with cooking pasta and boiling stews and steaming vegetables, go for the versatile options. In case you are simply into cooking rice only, go for the ‘no-frills’ sturdy rice cookers.
- Ease of Use: These products are designed specifically to make your lives simple and not vice-versa. Therefore, you must ensure that you choose the right design that is easy to use and not cumbersome.
Before getting to the conclusion, perhaps you would want to check out the Best Portable Smoothie Blenders – Top 10 Recommendations [Updated]
1. Are the plastic microwave rice cookers better than glass pots/ casseroles to cook rice?
Answer: Both, Yes and No. You can surely cook good rice using the glass casseroles till the time you don’t wish to invest yourself in finding better alternatives. Basically, if it works for you, then it is fine. However, the high-quality, BPA-free plastic rice cookers are designed for the very specific purpose of cooking fluffy rice. Once you get the combination of microwave- rice cooker right and get used to cooking rice in these, it will become impossible for you to go back to their glass alternatives.
2. Can I try the rice cooker to make pasta, steam veggies, boil stews and soups?
Answer: Most of the options available in the market are smartly designed and hence versatile. Thus, they make a good choice to experiment with different rice and grains. But, please ensure that you have read the respective instruction manual carefully and handle everything safely.
3. What does a BPA-free microwave rice cooker mean?
Answer: BPA stands for Bisphenol A, an industrial-level chemical that is found in resins as well as polycarbonates. Since the plastics used in microwave cookers have to witness high heat, it becomes extremely crucial for any plastic to be chemical-free. Hence, modern manufacturers ensure that any plastic that goes in the making of such a rice cooker stays BPA free.
Think you know more about your kitchen than a schoolkid. Take this quiz.
As mentioned before, the choice of selecting one over the other in the case of microwave rice cookers is very difficult. It is simply because all the manufacturers are making use of good quality material.
Even though the look and feel may differ from product to product, the basic skeletal design of all the rice cookers remains the same. Thus, it will boil down (pun intended) to the price and the utility of the products.
Firstly, check the make, dimensions and the wattage of your microwaves. Then go through the instruction manuals that are readily available online and check for the compatibility with your microwaves. This will enable you to choose the right product. Also, don’t ignore the accessories that come with each of the microwave rice cookers and select that can win you the bragging rights.
Recommended for you: Best Juicers Under $100: Buyers Guide [Updated]
RajKaran Shahpuri is a food aficionado and an experimental chef who runs a food kitchen in the rugged part of the Himalayas. His food and cooking observations have spanned over generations and regions which make his understanding of the kitchen appliances quite comprehensive. ‘Making an informed choice’ has been RajKaran’s mantra and this he puts into practice in almost whatever he does. This is why his suggestions are valuable to the readers when it comes to buying the latest kitchenware or ramping up any traditional dish.