Best kitchen shears are a must-have for any home cook. We use them for everything from snipping herbs to cutting parchment to spatchcocking birds to opening obnoxious clamshell packaging holding new culinary gadgets. Not all shears are created equal, as you might assume. For example, scissors have two blades: a cutter blade and an anvil blade (we know you already knew that). As you might expect, the cutter blade does the cutting and has a smooth edge that mimics a chef’s knife. However, the anvil blade is usually thicker and serrated (to hold whatever you’re cutting). We’ve discovered that the serrations of some shears aren’t deep enough actually to grab the food, and for others, the beveled edge isn’t quite sharp enough.
Also, we looked at what other professionals and satisfied customers had to say to help you discover the best pair of kitchen shears for your tool drawer. After that, we each added our own opinion as well. So let’s take a closer look.
- 1 Shears Vs. Scissors
- 2 Summary of Top 10 Best Kitchen Shears
- 3 Top 10 Best Kitchen Shears- A Detailed Review
- 3.1 #1. Shun premium Herb Shears
- 3.2 #2. Miyabi Kitchen shears
- 3.3 #3. Lamson Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears
- 3.4 #4. OXO Good Grips Spring-Loaded Poultry Shears, Black
- 3.5 #5. Henckels Kitchen Shears
- 3.6 #6. OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Herbs Scissors
- 3.7 #7. Tojiro-Pro Separetable Kitchen Shears
- 3.8 #8. Chefast Herb Scissors set
- 3.9 #9. Mairico Ultra Sharp Kitchen Shears
- 3.10 #10. KitchenAid All-Purpose Shears
- 4 Points to Consider before buying a kitchen shear
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
Shears Vs. Scissors
Have you ever wondered how shears and scissors differ from each other?
While they both have two blades and handles, the shape and size of the handles and the length of the blades are the main design variations.
Scissors feature symmetrical and equal-sized handle loops. Additionally, their blades are usually 6” or less in length.
On the other hand, shears typically have blades 6” or longer, with the bottom handle being larger and more oblong in shape – except for kitchen snips, which have shorter blades of 4-5” to provide extra leverage and force when needed.
Aside from standard kitchen snips, specialty cutters for poultry, fish, and herbs are available. So, let’s look at some features to help you find the best tool for the job.
Summary of Top 10 Best Kitchen Shears
1. Shun premium Herb Shears– The best kitchen shears for their premium quality to cut through any culinary item!!
2. Miyabi Kitchen shears– Well-balanced and crafted in the Japanese sword-making style
3. Lamson Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears– These polished, sharp stainless steel shears really provide you the effectiveness.
4. OXO Good Grips Spring-Loaded Poultry Shears, Black– Specifically designed for cutting through chicken!!
5. Henckels Kitchen Shears– This product is built up for any task, whether big or small.
6. OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Herbs Scissors– A multipurpose set of scissors that may be used daily.
7. Tojiro-Pro Separetable Kitchen Shears – Their claim to fame is that their blades are both inexpensive and of excellent quality.
8. Chefast Herb Scissors set – This chefs come with five stainless steel blade and with some additional accessories giving them serious advantage!!
9. Mairico Ultra Sharp Kitchen Shears – Made with stainless steel blades, this pair of kitchen scissors are ideal for a wide range of cooking tasks!!
10. KitchenAid All-Purpose Shears– Not only is it a well-known brand, but this pair is also very affordable.
Top 10 Best Kitchen Shears- A Detailed Review
- From opening packages to cutting through a lobster shell, from cutting up dried fruit to trimming pie dough, this is the ideal kitchen tool to quickly and...
- Both shears included in the set have high-carbon, molybdenum-vanadium, stainless steel blades for an extra-long life; razor-sharp straight from the box,...
- The Premium Kitchen Shears are sturdy enough to spatchcock chicken or turkey; a built-in notch makes it simple to cut flower stems or thin poultry bones, too
- Extra-fine 16° cutting edge on the Shun Herb Shears cuts cleanly through the leaves of delicate herbs without bruising; built-in handle notch makes it easy to...
- Interlock screw in the handles allows users to adjust the blade tension to suit user preferences; suitable for both left or right handed users and the blades...
These Premium shears are my favorite due to their sturdy look and ability to cut through any culinary item easily. If you’ve ever used a Japanese knife, you know their kitchen tools are top-notch, and these shears are no exception. Shun is the crème de la crème of Japanese kitchen tools, so expect to pay a little more for these shears—they’re totally worth it. Also, this pair is expensive than the others on our list, but you get a lot for your money.
Moreover, the blades are made of high-carbon, molybdenum-vanadium stainless steel, making them extremely durable and long-lasting. Further, the shears have a micro-serrated bottom blade for gripping slippery foods and a smooth top blade for a clean cut. Also, there’s even a bone notch at the blade’s tip to help you cut through chicken bones. Meanwhile, have a look at our post on the best kitchen shears for chicken.
Customers appreciate the heavy-duty capabilities of cutting through bone and cartilage, the sturdy construction and heft, the sharpness, the smooth cutting action, and the comfort of the handles. However, customers did face a problem with the delivery of the product. They have also warned others in their reviews to be cautious while using these shears as they are sharp from the bottom.
- Easy to clean
- Works well
- Ergonomically designed grip
- Built-in blade
- Herb Shears: 7.5 inch
- Sturdy construction
My verdict: This heavily constructed device can make your work done in minutes!! Don’t miss the opportunity before all the stock is sold.
What caught my eye about this product is its durability and its perfect design. Miyabi brand kitchen shears, a division of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Company, are made of stainless steel and feature precision-sharp blades with micro-serrated edges for superior cutting of everything from basil to heavy-duty packaging materials.
Additionally, bottle and screw top openers and a notched bone cracker are included in the comfortable D-shaped ABS handle, equal in size for left and right-handed use. Also, they are well-balanced and made in the Japanese sword-maker tradition. Wash and dry by hand. Produced in Japan, they guarantee the highest quality. Further, a Japanese blade’s quality not only ensures sharp cuts but also includes a bone-breaking feature, as well as a screw cap and bottle cap opener.
Mostly the customers have reviewed the product as awesome, saying that they are really impressed with its design and sharpness. Just be careful not to put them in a dishwasher; they might lose their quality. Otherwise, So far there had been no complaints about the product.
- Durable design
- Ultra-sharp micro-separated blades
- Comfortable Hold
- Made in japan
- Wash with hands only
- Do not put in a dishwasher
My Verdict: A shear with durable design and ultra-sharp micro separated blades is must-have equipment in the kitchen!! Don’t miss the opportunity to buy it.
Also, have a look at our post on the best Japanese shears.
- High-carbon stainless steel shears have multiple uses
- Break apart feature allows for easy clean-up
- Extra sharp fine edges make trimming a snap
- Smooth finish and tapered handles make these shears comfortable to use
- Polished finish will keep them looking like new
These high-carbon stainless steel shears are again one of my favorites, and Lamson provides these adorable devices that are also versatile. Also, the bottom blade includes micro-serrations for enhanced gripping, and the blades have a little inward bend for smooth, precise cutting. Furthermore, this device is forged of one-piece blades and tangs for strength and lifespan.
Moreover, these scissors are 8″ long with 4″ blades and can cut various materials. Additionally, they are right-handed only and break away at the pivot lug for cleaning and sharpening. Wash and dry by hand.
Customers appreciate the good balance and tremendous leverage, as well as the blades’ robustness and sharpness, the effective pivot lock, and the ease of cleaning. However, rust stains and pivot nut stripping were mentioned in a couple of poor reviews.
- Made of high carbon stainless steel
- Easy to clean
- Extra sharp edges
- Easy to use
- Rust stains
- Pivot nut is stripping
My Verdict: These high-carbon stainless steel shears are one of the fastest-selling products. Grab them before they sell out!!
- Suctions directly to the table, making it nearly impossible for small hands to remove
- Suction and non-slip base minimize messes during mealtime
- 100% food-grade silicone suction pad removes for easy and thorough cleaning
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- BPA, phthalate and PVC free
What I like the most about this product is its tapered blades that easily get to the hardest places. We recommend the OXO Grips Spring-Loaded Poultry Shears if you prepare chicken frequently and want to invest in a pair that’s better suited for the job. However, multi-purpose shears will certainly do the job; employing chicken-specific scissors will make your task easier and safer.
Further, Sharp, stainless steel blades are properly tapered on these shears, allowing you to reach those hard-to-reach locations. Also, the handles are spring-loaded, which reduces hand strain while in use. Moreover, these shears not only cut precisely, but they also have a non-slip grip and a handle lock, so you don’t have to worry about your kids while they’re on their own. Finally, since this item cannot be washed in the dishwasher, make sure to hand wash it instead.
Customers are really impressed with the sharp blades that can cut through anything, be it blade or turkey. However, a few are not satisfied with the quality of the design. Also, for cleaning, you might need to separate them into two pieces.
- Sharp stainless steel blades
- Spring-loaded handles
- Tapered handles
- Separate blades for cleaning
- Not perfectly designed
My Verdict: The quality of sharpness it provides is not fairly easy to find. Therefore, purchase it to cut through any hard object.
- HIGH QUALITY – With cutting age technology Zwillings has created a brand designed to provide premium cutlery, cookware, and kitchen tools around the world...
- UNIVERSAL USAGE - Handle every kitchen cutting task with ease. Whether snipping herbs, cutting foods or safely opening packages, these shears are up to the...
- UNIQUE DESIGN – Made with one straight and one serrated blade to provide the ease of cutting, not matter the material or ingredient
- ERGONOMICAL – The design of the polypropylene handles allow any person to cut comfortably, no awkward wrist movements. The design is contoured for the...
- BUILT IN ROTARY – Comes with a built-in rotary that loosens stiff lids
My favorite part of its feature is that it not only consists of one but two stainless blades. So this Zwilling choice is up to any culinary duty, whether you’re snipping herbs from your indoor garden or slicing up some handmade pizza. Also, the 7-inch kitchen shears are made in Germany and include two solid stainless steel blades, one straight and one serrated, and an ergonomic handle for a secure grip.
Further, sharpening and cleaning the blades is a breeze. However, they can be washed in the dishwasher, though handwashing is recommended for best results. Furthermore, the polypropylene handles are designed to allow anyone to cut comfortably, with no unnatural wrist movements. Also, these shears aren’t only for the kitchen but can also be used for other tasks.
Customers were generally pleased with the product’s quality. However, they did have some concerns. They thought that it rusts real quick. But it’s also really long-lasting.
- Made of two stainless steel blades
- Built for universal use
- High quality
- Polypropylene handles
- Easy to clean
- Built-in rotary
- Rusts quickly
My Verdict: The best quality shears composed of two stainless steel blades is the one to purchase.
- Set includes: Travel Case and Feeding Spoon
- Compact case fits easily into diaper bags and handbags for on-the-go meals
- Silicone Spoon is soft on baby’s mouth and gums and effective for scraping food from bowls, jars or messy faces
- Spoon is shaped for easy scooping
- Shallow Spoon head prevents feeding too much at once
The best feature about this product that I like the most about is its cushioning pads as they provide you with comfort so you can perform your work easily. This OXO Good Grips Kitchen Scissors is for you if vegetables and herbs are the stars of most of your dishes. It has a herb remover that takes sensitive basil, thyme, rosemary, and mint leaves from resistant stems seamlessly. Also, its micro-serrated stainless steel blades are ideal for snipping herbs and greens into tasty garnishes for omelets, quesadillas, or a weekend drink. Simultaneously, have a look at some of the best shears for vegetables as well in our post.
Furthermore, this OXO device is affordable and really comfortable to use because of the cushioning pads. But If you want to improve your cooking skills, you might want to invest in a category-specific pair, such as poultry shears. However, for the basics, this is a good option.
Many reviewers have given the OXO Good Grips Kitchen Scissors a 4.8-star rating, claiming that the item is flexible, robust, and of great quality. But few customers are dissatisfied with the product as this product does not come with ergonomic handles. Also, be careful while separating them, as these are really sharp on the edges.
- Hardened Stainless steel blades
- Cushioning pads
- Herb stripper
- Easy to clean
- Micro-serrated blades
- Easy to use
- No ergonomic handles
My Verdict: These shears, along with their cushioning pad, will provide you with the grip you would be needing while using them.
The attribute I admire the most about this product is its durability and the designing of the product. Also, these high-quality stainless steel shears by Tojiro are manufactured in one piece for longevity, with blades, tangs, and handles all cast in one piece. Additionally, the 4” micro-serrated blades have an overall length of 8”, and the 3” loop handles are the same size and shape for right and left-handed use.
Moreover, a bottle opener, jar opener, and two screwdriver tips are included in this set. Additionally, they also have a pivot joint that can be adjusted to separate at 95 degrees for full cleaning and sharpening. But the sole drawback is that they are designed for the Japanese domestic market, and the handles may be too tiny for some larger-pawed foreigners.
Many customers appreciated these kitchen scissors and praised the high-quality materials and artistry. Not only did they like the sturdiness of the blade but also the handles. However, one issue is that bothered some users was that the blades came apart at a 95-degree angle (which is normal). And not to mention the detaching pivot joint for cleaning.
- High-quality stainless steel
- Easy to clean
- Pivot joint
- Solely designed for the Japanese market
My Verdict: One of the best Japanese kitchen shears highly appreciated by professional chefs. One shouldn’t miss the opportunity of buying them!!
- YOUR PERFECT HERB SCISSORS SET: Looking for the best combination of performance and value? This unique set offers you 5-blade herb shears, two drawstring herb...
- QUALITY MATERIALS: With quality stainless steel construction, five 3-inch blades and an ergonomic TPR handle that won't slip, you're in complete control,...
- EASY AND CONVENIENT: We built a cleaning comb right into the safety cover. Just give the blades a quick swipe and those clingy herbs fall off with minimum mess....
- AWESOME GIFT FOR ALL OCCASIONS: Our premium herb scissors set comes in a stylish box that makes it a great choice for a wedding gift, Christmas gift,...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: At Chefast, we truly care about making our customers happy. In addition to the standard 30-day refund guarantee that most sellers offer,...
What excites me the most about this product is its ergonomic handle that won’t let my hand slip. Fresh herb mincing can be a real bother, but with a pair of herb shears, it’ll be a breeze. Also, the five stainless steel blades on this Chefast pair give them a significant advantage over multi-purpose scissors. You may cut your herbs directly into your dish with additional blades, which are quick and efficient.
Moreover, you also don’t have to worry about slipping when using them because they have an ergonomic handle. These shears also have a cleaning comb incorporated into the safety cover, which makes clean-up a breeze. Also, they’re great for crafting or shredding papers when they’re not being used for herbs. These shears come with a herb bag in addition to the cleaning comb and safety cover. Also, do take a look at our expert listings of the best herb shears.
A highly appreciated product with many positive customer reviews. People really appreciated the additional accessories the company has provided them. Also, please make sure not to use it in any plastic-made material; they are not made for them.
- Perfect herb scissor set- 5-blade herb shears, two drawstring herb bags, and safety cover with a cleaning comb
- Stainless steel constructed
- Ergonomic TPR handle
- Easy to clean
- Best for gift-giving
- Lifetime warranty
- Not for cutting plastic material
My Verdict: Product with the most positive reviews and least complaints from customers. One shouldn’t miss the opportunity of buying it!!
- IMPECCABLE PERFORMANCE FOR KITCHEN TASKS: The blades are ultra sharp and deliver highly precise cuts with minimal effort. It performs extraordinarily well in...
- REMARKABLE PERFORMANCE OUTSIDE THE KITCHEN: So sharp and so little efforts, you would want to use it everywhere and you can. You would want an extra pair for...
- MEANINGFUL ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS: Opening bottles and cracking nuts are two common needs in the kitchen and are two functions included in this kitchen shears....
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN, SUPERB QUALITY: Professional design and ultra sharp blades make it feel comfortable, light and effortless while easily outperforming all...
- TOP PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE: We're confident you'll find the shears amazing, delivering enjoyable, buttery smooth feel to each cut of meat, skin or fat. But...
I got intrigued when I saw this product with so many features and at such an affordable price. The blades are razor-sharp and deliver razor-sharp cuts with little effort. Also, it excels at all main kitchen duties, including cutting meat, chicken, poultry bones, vegetables, fish, a variety of meals, herbs, and so on. Moreover, it was a fantastic performer in and out of the kitchen, thanks to its high-quality blades and incredible sharpness. In addition, each cut is silky smooth and incredibly wonderful. Furthermore, you can know more about the best shears of cutting bones from our expert listings.
You’ll need an extra pair to cut cardboard, papers, goods boxes’ hard plastic, and trim rose stems, among other things. Also, its professional design and razor-sharp blades make it feel comfortable, light, and effortless to use while exceeding all other shears. It’s also made of rust- and corrosion-resistant premium, robust, high-quality stainless steel. Its handles are designed to be secure, comfortable, and non-slip. It can be washed in the dishwasher, but it is preferable to hand-wash it.
Marico’s Ultra Sharp Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears are the go-to cutting tool for many home cooks, with many good reviews on Amazon. Customers particularly appreciate how light these shears are, as well as the other features such as a bottle opener and nut-cracking capability. But customers still have a complaint that these shears start to rust very quickly.
- Ultra-sharp blades
- Works remarkably well outside the kitchen as well
- It can work as a bottle opener as well
- Nut cracking capability
- Lifetime warranty
- Rusts quickly
My Verdict: Fewer chances of getting another product with so many capabilities within such a budgeted price. Buy it before they sell out!!
- Plastic guard included: These KitchenAid Soft Grip Handle Shears comes with a protective plastic blade guard
- Stainless steel blades: The blades are crafted from stainless steel that resists rusting
- Clean cut every time: Each blade features micro-serrations for enhanced cutting performance and are extra thick for added strength and durability
- Comfort grip handle: The handle is shaped for comfort and features a soft-grip coating for stability
- Dishwasher safe Shears are dishwasher safe, but hand washing is recommended for longevity
KitchenAid’s products are my all-time favorite. Moreover, this product provides us with something unique: a plastic blade guard. Don’t want to spend a lot of money on shears for the kitchen? We don’t blame you, and this KitchenAid set hits a good compromise between cost and quality. Not only is KitchenAid a well-known brand, but this pair of shears is also multi-purpose so that it can handle almost any task in the kitchen.
Also, these scissors have a soft-grip handle that won’t hurt your hands while you’re using them, they’re dishwasher safe, and they have extra-thick blades for strength and longevity. Moreover, they come in a range of amusing colors (especially check out the aqua sky), just like other KitchenAid goods, so you can add a little pop to your kitchen equipment.
Customers claim they’re super-strong, wonderful for meat, and really attractive. According to some reviewers, the shears are larger than expected (in a good way!), and the handles are spacious enough for even arthritic fingers to slide through. However, customers have commented that they rust easily.
- Protective plastic guard
- Stainless steel blades
- Comfort grip handle
- Dishwasher safe ( prefer to wash my hands only)
- Rust easily
My Verdict: The level of strength that these scissors have is awe-inspiring!!
Points to Consider before buying a kitchen shear
Here is our buyers’ guide, which helps you find the right kitchen shear
1. Lower Fulcrum or Pivot joint
When cutting through solid materials like bone or cartilage, it’s important to move the fulcrum further down the blade to gain more leverage. Also, the blades on a set of kitchen snips will be shorter than scissors, and the rivet will be closer to the blades, allowing the operator to exert the required effort.
2. Adjustable pivot screw
Kitchen shears normally don’t have an adjustable screw for tightening or loosening tension unless they’re of professional quality. However, the blades may be loose at the pivot without an adjustable screw, causing them to pop apart when pressure is applied. But this is since they’re made to be readily dismantled and cleaned. But a notch on one blade typically slips over the fixed pivot point on the other, and the fit on lower-quality pairs can be sloppy.
3. Blades and handles all in one
When cutting through dense, tough material, high-end tools will have a single-piece blade and tang (the portion that extends into the handle) to prevent the handles from breaking off or twisting out of shape.
If you hold a model with a tang extending into the handle on one or two fingers around the middle point, it will balance evenly. But if they don’t and instead tip toward the blade end, you can have issues with lightweight handles breaking or cracking.
5. Carbon Steel vs. Stainless
Carbon steel is commonly used in professional quality cutters because it retains an edge better than standard stainless steel (i.e., 404), can be sharpened more easily, and is easier to sharpen. Because carbon rusts, these are typically coated in stainless steel, chrome, or nickel.
Although stainless is rust and stain-resistant, typical alloys do not keep an edge for very long and dull fast. Special stainless steels, such as VG10, have been developed to mimic (and often exceed) carbon’s edge retention and sharpening qualities, but the steel is expensive, and the cost is passed on to the buyer.
6. Separating Blades
Shear blades used on food products, especially meat, fish, and poultry, should separate for cleaning.
It is crucial for cleanliness, as any food particles that stay in the pivot screw serve as a breeding ground for bacteria. Also, sharpening is made considerably easier by being able to separate the blades.
7. Designed for left and right-handed use
Many kitchen snippers are designed to be used ambidextrously and have an appropriate balance. This is something you should be aware of, especially if you are left-handed.
Models with a rubber or synthetic grip are usually more comfortable while cutting through thick materials, and they also reduce slipping when your hands are wet.
9. Handle size
Choose a pair of cutters that are the right size and shape for your hands and provide enough room for a comfortable grip.
Many clippers contain additional functions such as a bottle opener, a center toothed grip for cracking bones and nuts, notches on the handles for jar opening, a screwdriver tip, and others surprisingly useful in the kitchen.
Meanwhile, have a look at a review on kitchen shears!!
Which is the best kitchen shear for fish?
The best kitchen shears for fish are ones that provide strong, stiff grips. And the best one to buy to cut a fish should be Shun premium Herb Shears. They are solid and can cut through any hard object, so it wouldn’t be tough for them to cut through a fish. You can read more about these shears from our post.
Can you recommend the best kitchen shear for turkey?
Though many shears can cut through turkey, they can not be a better option than OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Herbs Scissors. Their hardened stainless steel blades and cushioned pads are essentially designed to cut through any object. Also, you can learn more about the features of the best kitchen shear for turkey in our post.
Since it’s multifunctional and perfect for the everyday chef, we gave the OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Herbs Scissors the top rank. The Shun premium Herb Shears is ideal for cutting through bone and hard seafood shells in addition to meat and herbs. But don’t worry, we have lined up plenty of products for all our readers. So, make a choice that suits you the best.
Manasi is an avid writer. She appreciates products that make your life easier. She is particularly interested in kitchen gadgets because she adores cooking. There isn’t a single gadget connected to cooking that she hasn’t bought or researched on an online shopping website or app. She will present you with the greatest products from which to choose, making your job easier. There’s no greater way to express yourself than via writing. She and her mother have both used a variety of kitchen equipments, so they know which ones are good and which aren’t. They check every last detail of a product before purchasing it, so you can count on her to give you an unbiased judgment. Kitchen appliances, electronics, technology, and education are among her key interests. She enjoys conducting research whenever a new product enters the market so that she may determine exactly what a customer needs in a product.