A grill pan is the chief indoor version of a barbeque grill. As not everyone can afford a luxury backyard barbeque, the best grill pan can solve this issue for you. It helps to prepare the best-grilled dishes without hassle. Be it Panini, burgers, or delicious grilled patties, everyone loves their delectable flavor. All you require to cook these delicious dishes is the best grill pan. Grilling indoors is possible with the right grilling pan, which has lifted ridges to simulate the sear and char of a conventional grill.
- 1 What is a grill pan?
- 2 Which food should you grill?
- 3 What can the best Grill Pan do for you?
- 4 Best Grill Pan Quick Review
- 5 Best Grill Pan Detailed Review
- 6 Buying Guide
- 7 FAQ’s
What is a grill pan?
No doubt that Grill pans are an increasingly attractive and popular type of cookware. It enables you to prepare delightful, delicious meat and vegetables with the perfect char-grilled strokes. You might find a grill pan somewhat similar to a frying pan, but it has a different design meant to serve a distinct purpose. Unlike a frying pan, a grill pan has raised strokes for more comfortable cooking. However, the most striking characteristic of this pan is the grill lines on the cooking surface that are at the shortest distance of 1 to 2 centimeters aside. Moreover, the grill marks are 0.5 centimeters raised as they help the juice wither away.
Which food should you grill?
When I use my grill pan, I mainly grill the chicken along with veggies. If you love grilling vegetables then must check our list of best grill pan for vegetables. However, You can grill any protein you want as they would work great in a grill pan: chicken breasts, pork chops, pork tenderloin, and steak are the most obvious choices that people commonly grill. The grill pan cooks the food and your preferred fruits like strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, and veggies, including eggplant, asparagus, and zucchini.
What can the best Grill Pan do for you?
If you don’t officially own a grill pan, you must question yourself — for what good purpose would it be reasonable for me to think about getting one?
Consider it or not, you will find thousands of reasons to possess one. However, I have cataloged below a couple of primary purposes you must consider
Grill and chargrilled marks
Everyone knows that a steak tastes very different and delicious when it has great sturdy grill marks. When the meats and food are grilled properly and are satisfyingly dried up, they taste amazingly delightful. So it’s always advisable to choose grill pans over the simple frying pan. Moreover, the grill pans are extra giant pans than the frying pan and come in a round shape or a square pad shape. You can take both of these options into consideration for cooking distinctive food.
Consumes less time by grilling more food at once.
As I mentioned previously, the grill pans are usually big and come in two different shapes. No matter which form you opt for, they are large enough to enable you to cook more meals in one go. Moreover, the grill pan allows you to cook your meat with vegetables on the pan simultaneously without cleaning it again. Hence, giving you a hassle-free experience.
Comes with edges for gathering fat.
The grill pan has raised edges that soak up the juices or fat from the meat and limit your food from stewing in its juices, and these gathered juices on the surface of the pan can be used further for sauces.
Allows you to enjoy the indoor barbeque grill.
The grill pans usually prepared to make your fantasy of barbeque grill come true without getting heavy on your pockets. It works best on any indoor cooking surface and allows you to cook a variety of dishes. You can quickly grill chicken, fish, lamb, etc. To know more about the dishes you can easily prepare on your grill pan visit this site. Besides, one of the most prominent features of this pan is that being indoor cookware, it lets you enjoy grill food even in the hot summers.
Cooks Healthy Food.
The grill pans allow you to prepare a variety of healthy food without losing the actual flavor of the food. Moreover, It also does not require putting the oil before grilling, unlike what you do while cooking on a frying pan. However, sometimes your food gets slightly stuck on the grill so you can take few tips on how to prevent a sticky situation.
Overall, the grill pans offer countless more benefits than a frying pan. However, you must understand the concept of differentiating between distinct types of pans and their main purpose.
Best Grill Pan Quick Review
#1. Le Creuset Enameled Square Grill Pan – This grill pan is intended for removing excess drippings and features a large loop handle for easy lifting and serving.
#2. Calphalon Grill Pan – The 11-inch long Calphalon non-stick grill pan provide durability and offers easy release performance.
#3. Greenpan Grill Pan – This 11-inch spread-around grill pan is here for precise grilling of your veggies, fish as well as mouthwatering meat.
#4. All-Clad Pan – This grill pan gives professional performance and stability coupled with an easy food release and easy to wash for a convenient cooking experience.
#5. Lodge Single Burner – The grill pan renders fast, even heating for searing, baking, broiling, frying, or grilling. Two accessible grip corner handles assure simple lifting and hanging when not in use.
#6. GOTHAM Steel Grill Griller – The aluminum brown pan from GOTHAM is non-stick and durable. The material of the pan is Toxin-free – It is PTHE, PFOA, and PFOS free.
Best Grill Pan Detailed Review
- Square grill pan made of even-heating enameled cast iron
- The superior heat distribution and retention of le cresset enameled cast iron
- Ridges impart tasty grill marks on food and allow for lower-fat cooking
- Cast-iron handle and opposite helper handle facilitate convenient transport
- Colorful, long-lasting exterior enamel that resists chipping and cracking
This grill pan from Le Creuset is built of durable enameled iron and comes with a comfortable handle. It also has an opposing loose handle for easy holding. What I love the most about this grill pan is that it contains high ridges that give deep sear marks to my food and its sloped sides help me to grill better.
The Pan doesn’t require any special cleaning or seasoning. Moreover, it can stand high temperatures and easily maintain heat. Besides, you can use this Pan over any burner from induction, gas, to ceramic. However, it is around 7 pounds, which is quite heavy than the other ones, but thankfully it comes with two supportive handles which balance it easily.
Users have found this pan worth the money. Whenever there is too hot to grill outside, this pan is the only option they can think of and gives perfect grill marks and cooks amazingly. However, sometimes the edges become hot so always carry it with your mitts.
- Superior heat distribution
- Easy to clean
- Comes in a variety of colors
- The short handle provides extra support to hold the pan
My Verdict: The Signature Square Skillet Grill gives all the delicious flavor of an outdoor grill, with all the convenience of indoor cooking.
If you love the idea of cooking pizza on your grill pan then check our list of best grill pan for pizza.
- Heavy gauge aluminum construction ensures even heating and is hard anodized for durability. It also makes it dishwasher safe
- Interior includes three layers of nonstick coating two layers provide durability and the third layer offers easy release performance
- The long, brushed stainless steel handles are designed to stay cool on the stovetop. Pans and covers are also oven safe, making it ideal for finishing a gourmet...
- Deep ridges add authentic grill flavor to meats and browns evenly while locking in juices. And it’s large enough to accommodate extra servings
- The nonstick surface means you can cook healthier using less fat, with effortless cleanup. Comes with Calphalon's full lifetime warranty
This pan has impressive features, which include a perfect stainless-steel handle that makes handling smooth and stays cool while you’re cooking on a burner. It also has a highly ridged surface, making your food come out with great grill marks, making it look delicious.
The pan is made of hard-anodized aluminum that distributes the heat uniformly, and you can use it for searing or grilling your meat. I love the non-stick on this grill pan. It enables you to cook your super soft and juicy food and let them slide off the pan without difficulty. However, never try to turn the heat up too high as it will damage the non-stick coating.
Users love its non-stick surface, which makes it easy to get most everything off just with fingers. However, they prefer to wipe out the grease on the pan with a paper towel and then wash it with soap and water. The pan is pretty sturdy but can easily handle it once you are used to it.
- Dishwasher Safe
- Easy to Clean
- Stainless-steel Handle
My Verdict: This multilayer non-stick surface is best for your health as it allows you to use less oil or butter for healthy, low-fat cooking.
If you already have a round shape grill pan or looking for more variety then our list of the best square grill pan.
- Infused with diamonds, GreenPan’s Thermolon Minerals Pro healthy ceramic nonstick coating is free of PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium, so it will never release...
- Metal utensil safe, our original diamond-infused nonstick coating offers remarkable durability, balanced heating, and effortless cleanup
- Valencia Pro's Magneto Induction Base brings incredible searing and browning to all stovetops, including induction, plus the hard anodized aluminum body is...
- Mirror-polished stainless steel handle stays cool thanks to a V-shaped cutout
- Suitable for all stovetops including induction. Limited lifetime warranty.
If you want a grill pan that is light in weight, unlike the bulky cast iron, this anodized ceramic and non-stick pan is for you. It is not heavy, and one can easily maintain it. Besides, it is dishwasher- and broiler-safe, Oven safe as well as utensil-safe. This pan has a round shape, which means the heat gets evenly distributed quickly.
The side handles of the pan are simple to grab, so you can move the pan easily without any trouble. However, try to wear gloves while holding the pan as most of the time, the pan is hot. As this pan gets overheat soon, it becomes difficult to cook a thick steak on it. Apart from these the pan now features Magneto induction technology which ensures stability and won’t let your pan scratch over time and results in utterly even cooking, browning, searing, and grilling.
Users are happy with this product as it serves everything that an ideal grill pan does. It is easy to clean, doesn’t produce smoke while grilling, and can be placed at a high temperature without making the food get stuck to the pan. However, if you wash it hard, then you might find some irremovable marks on the pan.
- Dishwasher, oven, and broiler-safe
- Easy to clean
- Magneto Technology
- Ceramic get overheat quickly
My Verdict: The product is nice and you can place it on any stovetops for cooking, giving you a comfortable cooking experience.
Check our list of the best nonstick grill pan if you want to look further on non-stick pans.
#4. All-Clad Pan
- Heavy-gauge, hard-anodized cookware offers even heating and has 3 layers of safe, PFOA-free nonstick for long-lasting easy release.
- Oven safe up to 500°F and compatible with gas, electric, and ceramic cooktops (not induction compatible).
- Securely riveted stainless steel handles ensure a safe grip.
- Dishwasher safe but handwashing recommended to preserve the nonstick.
If you have an eye for high quality, nonstick pan which is compact, easy to use, and does not get overheated quickly, this pan is a great choice. It has a stainless-steel handle that makes it easy to hold and carry. Moreover, it is made of rugged, anodized aluminum, long-lasting, and scratch repellent, and has broad ridges for defined grill marks. However, the pan is lightweight in comparison to cast iron, but it still holds up to high temperatures.
The shape of the pan is square, which gives you an efficient space to cook your food. If you like a big-sized pan just like this one, check our list of the best 20-inch grill pan to find your perfect fit grill pan. Note that the All-Clad pan is only compatible with electric burners and gas so avoid putting it on the induction or stovetops.
Users have found it pretty effective in the long run. It heats up quickly, distributes the heat evenly, and gives beautiful grill marks on the food. It’s is non-stick, so users have not seen any fading of the coating. It consistently continues to be easy to clean.
- Large square design with a lot of surface area
- Easy to clean
- The handle is thin and does not have smooth and rounded edges
- Not induction-safe
My Verdict: The pan is a great purchase for people who want their pan to give a convenient cooking experience and can simply be placed in the dishwasher for further use.
- Reversible cast-iron grill/griddle provides fast, even heating
- Flat on one side and ribbed on reverse for indoor or outdoor cooking
- 2 easy-grip corner handles ensure simple lifting, flipping, or hanging when not in use
- Pre-seasoned and ready to use; made in USA; hand wash only
I love this grill pan as it has a cast-iron grill pan on one side that creates not only signature sear marks but also has a griddle surface on the other side to prepare pancakes, eggs, bacon, hamburgers, and anything else you’d want to cook. The square shape of this model is perfect for cooking space, as it enables you to fill this single-burner pan. However, the main drawback of this grill pan, it doesn’t have loop handles but comes with two corner handles which make it easy to stratagem. Whenever you feel like cleaning it, always carry the pan with your mitts.
The pan has a pre-seasoned surface that ensures you won’t have any food-sticking issues, and as long as you take care of this pan just like the others, it’s sure to last you a long time. While this pan runs great over your stovetop burners, it’s also safe to transfer into the oven or use over outdoor fires. However, if you want a grill pan that can be used on an electric stove then take a look at our list of best grill pan for electric stoves.
Users have compared this pan to the outside barbeque grill. It distributes heat evenly and is the perfect size to feed 2-3 people, depending on what you’re cooking. Users love its reversible griddle as it let them grill their food on one side and also allow them to fry the food at the same time
- 2-in-1 grill and griddle design
- Doesn’t sit completely flush on all stovetops
My Verdict: The pan is easy to clean, grill, and cook food. In general, it is a versatile grill pan.
- HEALTHY & NON-TOXIC – the Gotham Steel coating is derived from Ceramic and Titanium, making this frying pan free of PFOA, PFOS, lead & cadmium for an ,...
- INDOOR GRIDDLE PAN - ideal for pancakes, omelets, frittatas, bacon and more, this multipurpose griddle is essential for every kitchen and makes it easy to cook...
- ULTRA NON-STICK – the nonstick cooking surface is coated three times and reinforced with diamonds to deliver the ultimate food release. No oil or butter...
- SUPER DURABLE – the coating of the pan is infused with Ceramic and Titanium, which makes it durable enough to withstand metal utensils, spatulas, spoons,...
- EFFORTLESS CLEANUP, DISHWASHER SAFE– spend less time with cleanup! After all the cooking and prepping is done, place cookware in the dishwasher for quick and...
This grill pan is super easy on your wallet; I love this nonstick aluminum pan. This pan is much lighter and easy to maintain than a cast iron. In addition, it is dishwasher-safe and oven-safe up to 500°F though you cannot place it or use it on an induction stovetop. Finally, the shape of the pan makes it efficient for one burner.
The color of the pan makes it easy for you to detect any remaining burnt or stuck food, which can get unnoticeable in pans with a matte black interior. However, you won’t find the super charred, deep grill marks on your food than a cast iron, but it’s an excellent starter pan for you.
If you love these kinds of compact and efficient pans which you can take with you while traveling or camping then check our list of best grill pan for camping.
Users are very impressed with its quality and how affordable it is. They are enjoying making eggs, pancakes, and burgers on it without any issue. In addition, people are using this pan more often to grill or prepare their food as it takes no time to clean. However, once a user set it at a high temperature which made the food got burned. Hence, always cook in low to medium flame only.
- Nonstick surface
- Easy to clean
- Not induction safe
My Verdict: Overall, It works the same as compared to pricy ones. You can buy it if you are looking for a compact and inexpensive grill pan.
The first thing you’ll need to contemplate when buying a new grill pan is its structure. These are the most popular options:
- Cast iron is a popular material for grill pans; it can reach super high temperatures and retain the heat well. However, It’s a bit challenging to clean and manage compared to other materials because it requires seasoning to rust, but it’s extremely tough and will help you achieve deep sear marks. Check out our list of best-cast iron grill pan if you find the cast iron your material for the grill pan.
- Sturdy anodized aluminum- It heats fine without overheating quickly and is very gently to wash than cast iron. This particular material is often covered with a nonstick surface if you’re concerned about sticking, though it’s essential to note that those surfaces are susceptive to damage and shouldn’t be heated to high temps. Check our list of best-anodized grill pan if you wish to buy an affordable and convenient pan.
- Ceramic is another nonstick alternative that can burn up super fast but is likely to overheating if left unattended. If you are more comfortable using a ceramic-based pan, check our list of the best ceramic grill pan.
2) Size and shape
The size and shape of your grill pan will decide how much food you’re able to cook at once and how complex, and how easy it is to manage. You will find some grill pans are big enough for two stoves, which is great if you want to cook many meals at once. However, these longer pans are likely to get heated and start smoking. The larger ones are more challenging to clean. Round pans disperse heat more steadily, which makes you lose surface area. Square pans will provide you more cooking space, yet the edges don’t get hot as evenly as a round pan. If you’re short on space and want a pan with the most to contribute, you can check our best double grill pan with a skillet side for extra cooking options.
3) Care instructions
It is essential to know the details of your product, like whether the material of your grill pan is dishwasher-safe, which makes cleaning much more manageable. For example, the pan with cast iron will need a scrub and cannot be put in the dishwasher. However, it is OK to put hard anodized and nonstick materials in the dishwasher though I suggest hand washing to increase the pan’s lifespan.
1. How do I decide which size of grill pan to purchase?
First, you need to consider your particular needs. For example, some bit griddle stainless pans are larger with deep sidewalls, and others are lighter and more portable. The large ones are very versatile and can be used to cook for a group, whereas the smaller models allow you to use your griddle and grill grates simultaneously.
When you have decided the type of cooking you want to do, measure the exact cooking surface of your pan. As you do this, evaluate which grill will fit your needs. While purchasing, make sure you should have at least one-half inch of air space on two sides of the skillet to maintain good airflow and allow the grill cover to close properly. However, if you are looking for a grill pan that can serve you with all delicious bbq food at the comforts of your home then check our list of best grill pan for bbq.
2. What oils or fats are best to use?
Use butter or oil, which are suited for frying. For example, coconut oil or sunflower oil are healthy fats to start. However, like Extra Virgin Olive Oil, these Unrefined oils are not suited for frying because they can cause smoking and burning at pretty low temperatures. They are not only unhealthy for your health but for your pan too. It creates a layer of carbonization on your non-stick coating following in the loss of non-stick performance.
Never use oil sprays, including aerosols, mist, and pump sprays. Tiny spray droplets heat up quickly and carbonize easily on the non-stick surface. It will leave a layer on the coating and will change the non-stick performance of the pan.
Go through our list of best grill pan for bbq to enjoy the tasty grilled and smoked food in the comfort of your home.
3. How do I clean my grill cookware?
i) Let the pan cool entirely to evade thermal shock and to deform.
ii) Clean the pan in mild hot soapy water and wash with a delicate sponge or cloth. Avoid abrasive or feather duster.
iii) Wipe with a thin towel, and you are done.
If you are always in the mood for grilled foods but do not always prefer restaurant food, buy these grill pans that would give you the perfect taste of grilled foods in the comfy of your home.
These pans mentioned above offer great features at an affordable and best price. Through this post, I have tried to provide a comprehensive guide to help you choose the right product. Hope it fulfills its desired purpose.
Shiwani Bisht is a young mind full of inquisitiveness and determination and always enthusiastic about writing; commencing with penning her own recipes with her mother, she hopped up to a new level of writing just after completing her schooling. She is also a home-chef and loves preparing various cuisines; her mother, a learned chef, inspires Shiwani to cook. She and her mother had designed their recipe book and swayed their hands on different kitchen gadgets to make their cooking sessions advanced and more effortless.
As a food lover, she also started writing content on various appliances, which helped her make her cooking sessions easier. This made her gain more knowledge about technical gadgets. When she is not writing or cooking, she is usually volunteering in various welfare communities.