Being a coffee lover — do you start your mornings with a cup of strong coffee? That gives you an energy boost to go through the day. Me too! Every morning I grind my coffee beans in a coffee grinder to prepare the beverage. I believe that coffee is more than just a drink. It’s a culture and art that only the best coffee grinders can create for you!
But do you feel like you aren’t able to brew coffee, even nearly as flavorful as your favorite coffee shop, regardless of the same methodology and effort, you put in? The problem lies in the powdered coffee available In the market. I only realized this after brewing coffee with freshly ground beans at a friend’s house. So, I went to search for a good coffee grinder for grinding good quality coffee beans at home. Freshly ground beans transformed my coffee experience. But, finding the best coffee grinders can be daunting, especially with the wide variety of options available. But don’t worry! Let me save your time by answering all your questions in this article.
- 1 Why Coffee?
- 2 Why use the best Coffee Grinders?
- 3 Types of Coffee Grinders
- 4 Best coffee grinders- a summary list
- 5 Top 6 Best Coffee Grinders- detailed review
- 6 Things you Need to Consider Before Shortlisting the Best Coffee Grinders
- 7 FAQ’s
- 8 Conclusion
Coffee is known for boosting the energy level in a person. However, according to some research, it can also offer other important health benefits. Such as a lower risk of liver cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, and type 2 diabetes. Coffee contains essential nutrients and helps you burn fat. It appears to lower your risk of developing depression and the risk of stroke.
There are various kinds of coffee beans. In American supermarkets, you can generally find two types of coffee beans for sale: Arabica and Robusta. All types of beans brew coffee that tastes very different. There will always be something to match your taste.
Why use the best Coffee Grinders?
After coffee beans are roasted, they need to be ground for consumption. Grinding the coffee releases oils and gases that give coffee that has a great aroma and flavor. If you grind the beans right before you brew coffee. It helps to keep those oils and gases intact until you’re ready for them.
Grinding your beans just before you brew coffee; helps to prevent the oxidation of the coffee. It will also allow you to control the size of your grind too. With a coffee grinder, you can easily transition from brewing style to brewing style. Even with the same batch of coffee beans.
All coffee grinders serve the same purpose: They grind the coffee beans into a fine powder. All you have to do is add the coffee beans and start grinding. Push the start button and your coffee beans are ready to be made into espresso or drip coffee. Whether you’re new to the brew or an espresso expert, you will realize the importance of a good coffee grinder. A strong coffee grinder is the equipment key to coffee success. To know more about the best coffee grinders for drip coffee click here.
Types of Coffee Grinders
Based on functionality
Manual Grinders- Manual coffee grinders are far more affordable than electric grinders. It can go wherever you are, without worries about the availability of electricity. It’s a bit difficult to do that with a large electric grinder! In other words, it can be your travel buddy.
Electrical Grinders- Electrical coffee grinder offers more grind settings. Most importantly, they are capable of grinding larger quantities of fresh coffee at the push of a button. They are also very convenient. However, this convenience comes at a price. They are very expensive in comparison to manual coffee grinders.
Based on grinding apparatus
Blade Grinders- Blade grinders are usually affordable. They are a good choice for beginners who are not ready to make a huge investment. But, the beans are sliced at random, which means that your grind won’t be as uniform. For instance, this can affect your brew, but it won’t ruin your coffee.
Burr Grinders- Burr grinders rely on two burrs, spinning in opposite directions to crush coffee beans. Therefore, they grind evenly, and consistently for any type of brewer. Since the burrs are made out of ceramic or stainless steel. Only a little heat is generated during the grinding process, which keeps the flavors intact as the beans are ground.
Burr grinders are also more expensive in comparison to a blade grinder. Although, burr grinders are considered far more superior. This grinder also has further subdivision based on the burr shape. One is a flat burr grinder and another one is a conical burr grinder. Both have their advantages for different brews. For instance, conical burr grinders are ideal for espresso.
You will find all the different types of coffee grinders mentioned in our list. So choose according to your preferences. To know more about Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder check our blog.
Best coffee grinders- a summary list
#1. Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder– It is one of the best grinders hands down. Recommended by coffee experts as the go-to entry-level grinder for brewing coffee at home.
#2. – Backed with great user reviews, you don’t need any further assurance for the quality of this product! It’s a must-buy!
#3. KRUPS Precision Flat Burr Coffee Grinder– If you are looking for the best flat burr grinder. This one’s for you!
#4. Chefman Coffee Grinder Electric Burr Mill– This product is very easy to use. Moreover, gives you the result you want.
#5. SHARDOR Coffee Grinder Electric– Simple and affordable, yet this kitchen gadget can do your job well.
#6. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder– If you are a manual brew fanatic, this grinder is for you. It’s compact and affordable.
Top 6 Best Coffee Grinders- detailed review
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
- USER FRIENDLY - A convenient, front-mounted pulse button, plus a simple ON/OFF switch make it easy to grind fresh coffee.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - Engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs that help you explore the extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario...
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind...
My list begins with Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, recommended by coffee experts as the go-to entry-level grinder for brewing coffee at home.
This coffee grinder is engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs. That helps you explore the extensive range of brew methods. It is very user-friendly, with a convenient, front-mounted pulse button. As well as, plus a simple ON/OFF switch makes it easy to grind fresh coffee. When you want to grind your coffee, you just have to insert the coffee beans. Then press the button of the setting you want. This product also features 40 individual grind settings. Therefore, you can go from fine to coarse for all the popular brew methods such as espresso, Aeropress, etc. This will bring a key difference to the taste in your cup.
Users found the 40 individual grind settings to be very useful. The feature allowed the user to choose the grind size of the coffee. This has won many user-applauds. On the downside, some users found it a little difficult to clean it. Although it can be ignored as it can be easily cleaned with bristles.
- 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs.
- Front-mounted pulse button
- 40 individual grind settings
- Easy to use
- Difficult to clean
My verdict: If you are looking for a useful and durable grinder, then this is the right product. Features, undoubtedly, outweigh the price!
If you are looking for a professional grinder, check out our blog on the best professional coffee grinder.
Sboly Conical Burr Coffee Grinder with its simple design is one of the best. This electric burr mill features total ease of use with a one-button operation too. If your family is big and consumes a large amount of coffee at a time. Then this grinder is exactly what you want. Freely grind beans up to 12 cups to suit your needs. With FDA and ETL Certificates, the electric burr coffee grinder was equipped with a powerful motor, safety lock, and blue light completion indicator. This feature will make your life easier.
It is very durable and sturdy. What I like most about the grinder is that it fits any lifestyle, with its compact design. You can know more about some of the travel-friendly coffee grinders on our blog. You also don’t have to worry about indoor noise pollution. As its working noise level is less than 62dBA. Far below the normal 85dBA.
People are very happy with its effectiveness. Many users have said that it provides a consistent grind that is very uniform. Also really easy to clean with the provided cleaning brush. Users didn’t have any particular problem with it.
- 19 precise grind settings
- 12 grind amount settings
- Working noise level is less than 62dBA
- Safety lock
- Blue light completion indicator.
- Easy to clean
My Verdict: I highly recommend this coffee grinder because of its efficiency. Whether you are looking for the best all-rounder or a certified coffee grinder. This product is your one-stop destination.
To know more about coffee grinders under a budget, check out our blog on the best coffee grinders under $50.
- IMPROVED PERFORMANCE AND PRECISION: 33 percentage greater grinding range to provide precision grinding for all types of coffee brewing methods: Drip Filter...
- PREMIUM BURR GRIND: Metallic flat burr coffee grinder provides full control over the grind size and uniform grinding for the full coffee flavor
- CUSTOMIZABLE GRIND: 12 grind fineness settings plus intermediary settings for precise grinding. Adjust the fineness level for any type of coffee, from fine for...
- CUSTOMIZABLE QUANTITY: 2-12 cups quantity selection settings with auto-stop to automatically grind the exact quantity you need
- LARGE CAPACITY: 8 ounce whole coffee bean hopper and removable grounds container have the capacity to produce grinds for 30-32 cups of coffee
KRUPS Precision Grinder Flat Burr Coffee is a flat burr coffee grinder with a sleek design. It has a 33 percent greater grinding range to provide precision grinding. For all types of coffee brewing methods that you use. Whether it’s Drip Filter Coffee, French Press Cold Brew, Pour Over Espresso, and more. With 12 grind fineness settings plus intermediary settings. You can adjust the fineness level for any type of coffee.
If you plan to grind coffee beans in large quantities at once. Just like the way I do. This grinder has an 8-ounce whole coffee bean hopper and a removable ground container. Which can grind 30-32 cups of coffee at once. The best thing about the grinder is its auto-stop feature that automatically grinds the exact quantity you need.
Undoubtedly, this product is an incredibly good grinder. In particular, users were quite happy with its performance. Further, they found it exceptionally good for grinding beans in large amounts. Apart from some concerns regarding the mess, that can be created after grinding coffee. Most users were pretty much satisfied with its features.
- 12 grind fineness settings
- 12 grind amount settings
- 8-ounce whole coffee bean hopper
- Auto-stop feature
- Easy to clean
- Creates mess
My Verdict: It is a really good grinder although it can sometimes make a mess. But don’t worry, the problem is easily solvable.
Also, if you are specifically looking for a coffee grinder that is best for Frech Press, then here’s our list of Best Coffee Grinder for French Press.
- CUSTOMIZABLE: Intelligent design features take the hassle out of grinding your own coffee, with a 110-watt motor that delivers a consistent, even grind every...
- SPACIOUS: The large hopper holds up to 2.8 ounces of coffee beans to make anywhere from 2-12 cups at a time, so you can make freshly brewed coffee for yourself...
- FULL FLAVOR: Burr mill system avoids overheating the coffee beans, so you get freshly ground coffee with full-bodied flavor and better taste, perfect for any...
- EASY USE AND EASY CLEAN: This grinder is designed with an easy, one touch operation to make the grinding process quick and easy. Burr grinding disc and...
- RESOURCES: cetl approved with advanced safety technology for long lasting durability, & 1-year assurance provided by Chefman, so you can purchase worry-free -...
Chefman Coffee Grinder Electric Burr Mill is a flat burr grinder. It has a 110-watt motor that delivers a consistent, even grind every time! With 17 grinding options, you can customize your grind from extremely fine to coarse. This will help you explore the extensive range of brew methods. It is very user-friendly, convenient because of its compact build. The large hopper holds up to 8 ounces of coffee beans. It can take anywhere from 2-12 cups at a time. This feature can be very useful for you.
- 17 grind fineness settings
- 12 grind amount settings
- 2.8-ounce whole coffee bean hopper
- 110-watt motor
- Easy to use
- Irregular grinds
Once again, this flat burr coffee grinder has many happy customers, due to its features. Users were specifically quite charmed by its affordability. The only rough spot that some users pointed to was its irregular grind. Nevertheless, this coffee grinder can do its job easily.
My Verdict: It is a very good grinder for its price. And has very decent reviews. Although it can malfunction sometimes.
Also, if you are specifically looking for a coffee grinder that fits your lifestyle. Then here’s our list of Best Travel Coffee Grinders.
- 【Grinding Coarse or Fine Coffee Beans as you Please】Just by simply pressing the lid for different seconds to get coarse or fine coffee powder.
- 【Rapid Grinding】High power with 20000-24000 r/min allows you to get your desired coffee powder within 8-15 seconds.
- 【Dishwasher Safe】The stainless steel cups can be removed from the base. The removable cups are dishwasher safe and easy to clean as well.
- 【Multipurpose】Use the small counter top grinding machine as a grain mill grinder in the kitchen, a nut grinder, a pepper grinder, a salt grinder or an all...
- 【What you get】You will get a coffee grinder, a 2-blade cup, a 2-in-1 coffee spoon with brush, a user manual, the 2-year warranty and our friendly customer...
SHARDOR Coffee Grinder Electric is one of the best electric blade grinders available. Although blade grinders can be a hassle sometimes, this one grinds coarse or fine coffee beans as you please. If you are setting up your kitchen for the first time. This grinder can be your all-in-one grinder for coffee and spices. Hence, it can function as a coffee grinder, as well as, nut grinder, a pepper grinder, and a salt grinder. It runs high power with 20000-24000 r/min. That allows you to get your desired coffee powder within 8-15 seconds.
Lastly, the stainless steel cups can be removed from the base. The removable cups are dishwasher safe and easy to clean as well. If you are a lazy person like me, this grinder can be a savior for you.
Firstly, users loved this coffee grinder for being quick. Secondly, many people are impressed by its multifunctional features. Hence, it is very useful for the users. On the downside, people have made complaints about its loud noise. It can also overheat sometimes. But, it is very useful for even grinding.
- Grinds coffee beans in 8- 15 seconds
- 2.5-ounce whole coffee bean hopper
- 2 in 1 spoon (brush and spoon)
- Easy to clean
My verdict: It can be a multipurpose grinder in your kitchen that does its job well. If you are looking for the best blade coffee grinder this one for you.
Also, check out our list of best home coffee grinders too.
- [ Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector ] Equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your...
- [ Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use ] Removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% the noise that an electric coffee bean grinder would...
- [ A Fresh Ground Cup to Start Your Day ] JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder dispenses your fresh coffee grounds ready to brew - feel the coffee beans grind as you...
- [ Built to Last ] Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented Ceramic Burrs are tested through three quality inspections to...
- The JavaPresse Manual Burr Coffee Grinder was built with a patented professional grade ceramic conical burr to provide an incredibly consistent grind for a...
If you are a manual brew fanatic, this grinder is for you. It’s convenient and affordable. Additionally, this manual grinder has been suggested by many coffee experts. As it is the best in its category. Equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control. Over the coarseness of your grind making for the perfect cup of coffee to start your day. The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder was built with a patented professional-grade ceramic conical burr.
If you are not a fan of the noise created by an electric coffee grinder. Its hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise. Further, there will be no batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your coffee burr grinder at home.
Because of its affordability, this grinder has been the favorite for first-time users. Because of its size, users find it to be very compact and travel-friendly. Although, some users are not happy with its grind sometimes.
- 18 manual grind settings
- No electricity required
- Very compact
- Travel friendly
- Uneven grind
My verdict: A very affordable and good-quality grinder. For a beginner, this can be a really good choice.
To know more about manual coffee grinders, check out our blog on best hand coffee grinders.
Things you Need to Consider Before Shortlisting the Best Coffee Grinders
There are several things that I think you should keep in mind before buying a Coffee Grinder. So, you get the value for money on your investment.
1. Types of Coffee Grinders
Based on functionality, there are two types of coffee grinders. Firstly, a manual coffee grinder and secondly an electrical coffee grinder. Manual coffee grinders are more affordable. But, they are not very efficient. Whereas, an electrical coffee grinder is more effective to work with.
Based on the grinding apparatus, there are two different types of coffee grinders. They are- Blade coffee grinder and Burr Coffee Grinder. For instance, a blade coffee grinder can be more affordable. But they tend to be very rough grinders. Whereas, burr coffee grinders provide regular grinding.
So you must consider what type of juicer you need before deciding to buy a juicer. Therefore, I have made a list considering all the types of coffee grinders.
Settings make a huge difference in the efficiency of a coffee grinder. Grind settings allow you to choose the grind size of coffee beans. Therefore, allowing you to brew various types of coffee. Furthermore, grind amount settings will give you the choice of the amount of your grind at a time.
3. Easy to use
We always want our grinding process to be easy and fast. Hence, I selected coffee grinders that are easy to use. On the other hand, you’re new to grinding coffee but aren’t sure if it’ll become a long-term habit. Therefore, a simple and affordable coffee grinder with basic functions may be preferable for you.
To sum up, we want coffee grinders that cost less and give us the maximum features we want to see in our grinder. Therefore, we have got you covered up here as well. Check our list of some of the best coffee grinders under $100.
Q1. How long do coffee grinders last?
Q2. How many seconds should you grind coffee beans?
Q3. Are blade grinders better or burr coffee grinders?
Ans. Blade grinders will get the job done, but coffee experts will tell you that they yield uneven grinds. Using a blade grinder will never get the most flavor out of your beans. Burr grinders do a much better job at consistent grinding. Which makes them the best grinder of choice for most coffee drinkers.
Meanwhile, if you are a fitness enthusiast check this recipe for perfect keto coffee.
While selecting the right coffee grinder, it is important to understand its various facets. Hence, my list is quite exclusive, in the sense that it covers all the aspects of a coffee grinder, starting from its design to the buying guide. On one hand, it lists some expensive and top-of-the-line grinders like Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder and . While, on the other, there are some very unique ones like KRUPS Precision Flat Burr Coffee Grinder.
For our budget-conscious reader, I suggest you should check out Chefman Coffee Grinder Electric Burr Mill and SHARDOR Coffee Grinder Electric. On the other hand, if you are a want a convenient manual coffee grinder. The best option would be to go for JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder.
Hence, you have a wide variety to choose from without going through the hassle of checking at various places for the same. In conclusion, go ahead and select the one that suits you the most.
Aditi Borah is an enthusiastic writer and a bookworm, always aspiring to enliven others with her work. She has been writing articles on different niches; including film, technology and gadgets for many years. Being a foodie, her love for food has also turned her into a home chef. She also enjoys the science behind cooking. The technology behind appliances and kitchen gadgets vivify her which she writes about. Apart from this, she spends her free time listening to music, singing and playing badminton.