What did an Indian say at an American diner ?.. “Can I get some garam masala please!!”.. Yeah, that’s how Indians are. We love our spices. We love them so much that we have eight different kinds of chilies hailing from different states in India, the ‘ghost pepper’ being the hottest of them all. And why do we love our spices? .. the reason is curries. Indians love curried cuisines, butter chicken, paneer tikka masala, chana masala, sambar.. being some popular ones. A blend of spices go into the making of these curries for a lip smacking taste. After preparing these meals and devouring them to the fullest, the most difficult part is – doing the dishes. For that purpose, a Dishwasher is simply a boon to have in an Indian kitchen.
After a thorough research, I have reviewed some of the best powerful Dishwashers online in this post, ideal for an Indian kitchen. Before going any further, read the next section if you are still contemplating the requirement of a dishwasher for your kitchen .
- 1 Why does an Indian kitchen need a Dishwasher?
- 2 Types Of Dishwashers
- 3 5 Best Dishwashers For Indian Kitchen Summarized
- 4 5 Best Dishwashers For Indian Kitchen Elaborated
- 5 Warm Tips
- 6 FAQ’s
- 7 Conclusion
Why does an Indian kitchen need a Dishwasher?
Now that we have discussed the importance of curries in Indian cuisines and the love for them in an Indian kitchen, we need to go through the fact that the stains of these curries on the dishes are extremely difficult to remove. These stains can be stubborn and can end up on your fancy crockery forever if not washed properly, leaving them sticky and smelly. You have already given so much of your energy into that delicious meal and now when you look at the mess, the dirty plates, cups, bowls.. , your brain hits a whole new level of stress. Why drench all of the leftover energy when you can let a Dishwasher take charge?..
A Dishwasher can be your favorite helping hand in the kitchen so that you don’t have to “stress about the mess”, ’cause it has already got your back (and I am speaking metaphorically ; back pain while bending over the sink can be seriously painful) !! Also, go through the next section for a complete understanding of the types of Dishwashers according to space requirements.
Types Of Dishwashers
The three most common types of dishwashers are 24-inch built-in, 18-inch built-in and portable dishwashers. While most kitchens have one of these three types of dishwashers, you may find that the best dishwasher option for you is an integrated dishwasher, a freestanding dishwasher, a drawer dishwasher or a countertop dishwasher.
1. Built-In Dishwashers
Built-in dishwashers are the most popular and recognizable types of dishwashers. A built-in model has an independent and permanent connection to your plumbing, unlike some dishwasher types that need to route water from your sink plumbing. This dishwasher slides into place and is secured in a spot under your cabinets, which helps buffer noise during wash cycles. Standard built-in dishwashers measure 24-inches wide. Due to their popularity, 24-inch built-in dishwashers are the most widely available dishwasher option and have the broadest variety of features. A compact 18-inch built-in model is a popular choice for smaller homes and apartments.
2. Portable Dishwashers
If you don’t have enough room to install a dishwasher under your cabinets, portable dishwashers are a great option. Portable dishwashers are compact, freestanding units that connect to your sink instead of having its own plumbing. As long as you have an adapter for your sink faucet, this appliance can be connected directly to your kitchen sink whenever you need to wash dishes, then disconnected and put away for storage afterward. The top of the dishwasher is usually a countertop material, giving you extra working space if needed. This type of dishwasher is popular for small homes and apartments and for those who move frequently but want to take their dishwasher with them.
3. Countertop Dishwashers
When even portable dishwashers are too inconvenient for your space, you can choose a countertop dishwasher instead. Countertop dishwashers are versatile, easy to use and small enough to sit on your counter. They connect to your sink using a quick connect adapter and use less water and detergent than standard dishwashers. However, countertop dishwashers have a lower capacity than other types of dishwashers, so they are a better option for small households than large households.
4. Integrated Dishwashers
Integrated dishwashers are built-in dishwashers that are professionally installed with a custom cabinet panel on the door. The control panel is hidden on the top of the door, so that the dishwasher blends seamlessly with the rest of your cabinetry. An integrated dishwasher usually requires a contractor to make repairs or remove it from the cabinets.
5. Drawer Dishwashers
Drawer dishwashers have two levels that open like drawers rather than having a pull-down door. These dishwasher drawers are designed to be loaded and unloaded conveniently from the top and reduce strain on the body from bending. If dishwasher accessibility is a concern, this may be the best dishwasher for you.
In this post, I have listed the best built-in , countertop and portable dishwashers available online.
5 Best Dishwashers For Indian Kitchen Summarized
1) Farberware Complete Portable Countertop Dishwasher – This portable countertop dishwasher is ideal for your small family with an inbuilt water tank ; recommended by me.
2) Frigidaire FFCD2418UB Built-in Dishwasher – This 24” built-in dishwasher has 5 cycles and 14 place settings ; washes your dishes beautifully.
3) EdgeStar BIDW1802BL Built-In Dishwasher – This dishwasher is energy star certified and is highly recommended in terms of capacity and cleaning ; comes with leakage sensors.
4) hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher - Energy Star Portable Mini Dish Washer – This is an energy star certified portable countertop dishwasher and the users are loving it for it’s performance.
5) Farberware Professional Countertop Dishwasher – This is a countertop dishwasher is very spacious and good at cleaning ; comes with a water supply failure indicator.
5 Best Dishwashers For Indian Kitchen Elaborated
- QUALITY CONTROL NOTE All dishwashers are factory tested to ensure proper operation As a result it is normal for small amounts of residual water to be found in...
- COMPACT DESIGN: This convenient dishwasher can fit a variety of dishes (up to 12-inches in diameter at an angle) and is ideal for small-sized houses,...
- NO HOOKUPS NEEDED: If you want the advantage of portability and storage, this dishwasher gives you the choice to fill the built-in tank so you don't need a...
- FIVE WASHING PROGRAMS: You'll get full size dishwasher cleaning in a countertop sized compact unit that offers five wash programs - Normal, Rapid, Fruit Wash,...
- STEAM: Steam generated during the Baby Care cleaning cycle can be used to sanitize baby bottles and give glassware a sparkling clean finish
This portable countertop dishwasher features 5 wash programs – Normal, Rapid, Fruit Wash, Baby Care and Glass. It has a pull out dish rack and a separate cutlery rack. The LED digital controls give you a clear picture-view of wash controls and the automatic water level indicator lets you know when the correct water level has been reached. A fruit basket is also included for cleaning the fruits and vegetables. Steam is generated during the ‘baby care cleaning cycle’ to sanitize baby bottles and give glassware a sparkling clean finish. The rapid cycle has a 40 minutes timer and the automatic air circulation helps to dry dishes after the washing process.
This dishwasher comes with a 5 liter built in water tank which adds to the convenience of not needing a hookup to the water faucet. This can be proved to be helpful for simultaneous working in the sink while letting the dishwasher take care of the dishes. So you can either place it on the kitchen counter top or a sturdy table while the inbuilt water tank is sufficient for the water supply and although a quick faucet hookup option is there (adaptor not included), you won’t need it.
The inbuilt water tank has proven helpful to the user because some of them have such kitchen settings that they can’t place the dishwasher next to the sink. With this dishwasher, problem solved. Although some users have complaints about the customer service to be poor and unresponsive.
- LED control panel
- See through window design
- Inbuilt water tank
- no hookup to faucet needed
- Placement next to the sink not needed
- Fruit cleaning option
- Baby care cleaning cycle
- Water indicator
- The tank needs to be filled 3 times with a 1.8 liter pitcher
- Not ideal for your big pans and pots
Unlike other dishwashers in the market, I found the looks of this one to be quite captivating. So score! for that. The see through glass window creates an appeal to the design of the product, breaking the general design monotony of dishwashers and I might as well predict that the future countertop dishwashers will have a see through window too. And, the inbuilt water tank is a plus of course.
- Polymer Tub And Nylon Rack
- 5 Wash Cycles
- 14 Place Settings
- 3 Spray Arms
This is a 24 inch built-in dishwasher from Frigidaire. Considering the dimensions, this dishwasher goes below your countertop , it’s quite huge and it has a desired capacity for all your kitchen utensils. This dishwasher is ideal for your big Indian family. This dishwasher features 5 wash cycles – heavy, normal, 1 hour, rinse only, energy saver ; temperature and options displayed on the panel. It provides 14 place setting capacity for the dishes. This has a handle attached to a pull down door, unveiling the interiors. The buttons on the program panel are pressure press and there are multiple settings to chose from. There’s also a 4 hour plus delay option.
The delay start option is an addition as compared to the other dishwashers as you can place the delay setting accordingly with your schedule. About the interiors, the capacity of this one is quite amazing and can cover all your kitchen utensils at a time. There are separate racks on each floor – one for your bowls, glasses, and cups and another for your big plates ,small plates, cutlery and other big utensils. This dishwasher always has extra room for your dishes. It’s very quiet while working and does a nice job while cleaning. It also has an easily removable/washable catch basket ; this is a feature that I think should be standard in all dishwashers. It automatically adjusts the cycle time based on how much cleaning your dishes need.
There have been some issues with the packaging and shipping of the product not being neat. Performance wise, there has been less complaints. Although many have an opinion that the product dents easily.
- Separate racks for big and small utensils
- Delay Setting
- Ideal for every size of family
- Dry Heating element
- Enough room for all utensils
- Removable and washable catch basket
- Very quiet dishwasher
- Easily dented
- Poor shipping and packaging
Performance wise and capacity wise, the product is ideal for your household. Although the dealing authority and the shipping authorities need to improve the shipping standards. The manufacturers can improve the quality of the material used in build up.
- Accommodates up to eight (8) place settings and features a silverware basket and cup tray
- Six (6) Wash Cycles: Heavy, Normal, ECO, Glass, Rapid, and Rinse; Three (3) Options: Sanitize, Hi Temp, Heated Dry
- At only 17.75 inches wide, using this unit to replace an older appliance such as a trash compactor is a great option.
- Leakage sensor automatically shuts off water flow when a leak is detected to protect your home from water damage
- Quiet 52dB operation keeps the disturbance to a minimum; Dimensions 32.5" H x 17.6" W x 22.4" D; Weight: 52.9 lbs
This is an 18 inch Energy Star rated built- in dishwasher that features 8 place settings for your dishes. For an in-built dishwasher, the design of this one is compact and there are adjustable legs to it for the desired height. There are 6 wash cycles- heavy, normal, ECO, glass, rapid, and rinse ; and 3 options- sanitize, high temp, heated dry. The digital push button control panel and digital display allows you to easily select your cycle and wash options with the help of light indicators. There’s also a delay option for a delayed cycle for up to 24 hours. Anyone who knows plumbing can install it with ease.
The dishwasher is ideal for your big family of more than 4 people and offers spotless cleaning to your utensils. The bigger capacity allows thorough cleaning to all size utensils. There are two racks to it, one on the top for your cups, glasses and quarter plates and the other at the bottom for your big plates and other utensils. There’s a silverware basket in the bottom drawer for your silverware. There’s a slider on the racks for a smoother glide. The leakage sensor in the dishwasher suspects any kind of leakage and automatically shuts down the water flow, preventing a flood your house. This dishwasher is as quiet as a whisper while it performs.
The capacity and the cleaning is up to the mark. The users are extremely happy with the performance of this product.
- Energy star certified
- Fits adequately
- Leakage sensors
- Glider racks
- Easy to install
- Easy controls
- 2 spray arms
- Heated drying
- Wire extension has to be separately purchased
My vote to this built-in dishwasher for it’s performance and rare complaints. The leakage sensors impressed me the most. The customer service is also fairly responsive ; worth buying.
- A convenient and small Energy Star certified dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after dinner or cooking. Simply load the dishes in the dish basket and...
- With simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle options: heavy, normal, ECO, glass, speed, and rinse for your different...
- Features a quick connect assembly with accessories including inlet and drain hose and a faucet adapter for water lines that are compatible with round-shaped...
- Using the rinse aid dispenser, you can dry your plates, mugs, and glass quickly without the marks or streaks. Only use rinse aids designed for an automatic...
- This counter top appliance measures 17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches with 6 standard place setting capacity perfect for small size household or individuals living in...
This product from Homelabs can simply adjust to your counter-top with hassle free installations. The compact design and the elegant color gives the product, a sleek look. The exterior of the product features a simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle options- heavy, normal, ECO, glass, speed, and rinse for your different dishwashing needs. There’s also a delay button light to postpone wash cycle. It’s an Energy Star certified dish washing machine. It includes an inlet and drainage hose for water lines and also a faucet adaptor for easy installation purposes.
This counter-top dishwasher is ideal for your small households. The pull down handle leads to the interior of the dishwasher. It features a 6 place setting rack including a drinkware rack for you glasses and a separate basket for your silverware. The product has a detergent dispenser and spray arms for thorough cleaning ; plus you can use cold water as it already has a heating element. It also has a rinse aid dispenser. You can use rinse aids designed for automatic dishwashers to dry your dishes without marks or streaks. An indicator light on the control panel let’s you know when to refill the rinse aid dispenser. The product is an ultimate selection for first time buyers given the easy controls and use.
The product has been receiving decent reviews since long. They have used diversified utensils and have not had much issues with this dishwasher. They have remarkably quoted the product as one of their best purchases. However some of them have seemed to have a problem with the drying of the dishes after washing.
- Energy star certified
- Compact and sleek
- Easy to install
- Separate basket for silverware
- Fits diversified utensils
- Good capacity for a family of 3-4
- User- friendly controls
- Rinse aid indicator
- Saves water
- Delay button
- Doesn’t dry well
- Baby care function missing
Apart from the missing function of sanitization of baby bottles, everything about this dishwasher is just perfect. Being Energy Star certified is just a cherry on top so that you don’t raise an eyebrow while looking at the electricity bill.
- Dimensions: Depth - Door Shut (with Handle): 21.7" | Depth - Door Shut (without Handle): 20" | Depth With Door Open 90 Degrees: 29" | Dishwasher Size: 21" |...
- Six-place setting: the six-place setting capacity allows you to wash a variety of dishes (up to 10-inches in diameter) and includes folding down rack shelves...
- Quick installation: Features a quick connect assembly with accessories and adapters included to easily connect directly to your faucet
- Seven washing programs: you'll get full size dishwasher cleaning in a countertop sized compact unit that offers seven wash programs - heavy, Normal, baby care,...
- Extra-drying function: this feature adds extra heat to the final rinse to enhance drying results, but can only be used with the following programs - heavy,...
This is an another great product from Farberware ideal for your countertop. To begin with the design- a sleek and compact design with a Led touch control panel on the top to display the program settings. Each of the program settings – heavy, normal, baby care, light, glass, speed 45 min, self clean (P1 – P7) also have indication images for the ease of operations and a handle to pull down, revealing the rack. The interiors of the dishwasher are pretty easy for the place settings too. An easy pull rack can make room for all your dishes up to 10 inches in diameter. It has a folding down rack shelves and a cutlery basket. The spray blade is placed only at the bottom of the dishwasher, which I think is adequate given the size of the dishwasher.
There are two hoses, for inward and discharge of water respectively. After a quick instalment to the faucet (accessories and adaptors included), the water has to be continuously kept on during the complete cycle. It will only take the adequate amount of water and perform ; when done, it will discharge the water automatically from the outward hose. The good part is that the supply failure indicators light up when dishwasher is low on rinse and that no water is reaching the dishwasher. Also, the child lock function to lock the LED panel so that your children don’t accidently run the dishwasher. You can use cold water for this dishwasher because it has automated heating element that will change the temperature of the water accordingly with the set program. The ‘extra-drying function’ adds extra heat to the final rinse to enhance drying results, but can only be used with the following programs – heavy, normal, light, glass, baby care.
Overall the product is performing well. Although the users have been advising to use only powder or gel as cleaners and not pods. The one thing that they like the most is that the dishwasher is too quiet while it functions.
- Compact design
- Easy to install
- Child lock feature
- Automatic heating element
- Baby care option
- Self clean option
- Water supply failure indicator
- Light on the pocket
- Ideal for your pots and pans
- The water has to be on for the whole cycle
Considering the price and the user experience, this dishwasher makes an ideal choice. It’s compact and ideal for a small apartment and a small family of 3-4. This dishwasher also has a glass alternative for enhanced looks but it’s too pricey for just looks.
1. Be extremely careful with the glassware in your dishwasher. In case of any breakage, small particles can get into the insides of the dishwasher and hamper the performance.
2. You can use the accessories of your baby food processor in the dishwasher that fit in properly. Use steam sanitization function for baby bottles.
3. Don’t force the utensils if the capacity has no room for more.
4. For thorough cleaning, place the utensils in a neat arrangement ensuring gaps.
5. Bigger pots and pans are made of hard material, place them separately.
6. Dishwashers are generally budget friendly rather more of an investment. Maintain them properly for longevity so that they don’t drill a hole in your pocket.
7. Your expensive china is not meant for a dishwasher ; wash them separately.
8. Keep an eye on any sort of leakage from the dishwasher.
9. Keep your kids away from reach of the dishwasher to avoid any accidents.
10. Program the dishwasher cycle accordingly to ensure minimum wastage. Water is essential, don’t waste it. Check out some of the best dishwashers with low water pressure on our website.
1. How long it takes for dishwasher to wash?
While it depends on the cycle you choose, most dishwasher cycle times can last anywhere from 1.5 to 4 hours. The average dishwasher run time can vary based on sensor readings or how dirty your dishes are.
2. Are you supposed to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher?
These days, there’s no need to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. The dishwashers already have a rinse cycle included in the functions.
3. Why does my dishwasher smell even after cleaning?
Over time, small particles of leftover food accumulate in the filter or crevices of the machine and begin to smell. Remove the filter from the dishwasher and clean it thoroughly, using a stiff scrub brush, soap and hot water. Check some of the best dishwashers with hard food disposer on our website.
If you are a small family of 3-4 people, I would suggest you to go for a countertop dishwasher. The Farberware Complete Portable Countertop Dishwasher is my personal favorite and the current trending in market. It’s not just all about looks, it can work wonders on your curry stained utensils by washing them off and maintaining a crystal clean shine on them ; a future dishwasher and a perfect gift for Holidays!!
So now, all you need to concentrate on is making that curry more spicy and delicious and not worry about the mess because your Dishwasher already has your back (again, metaphorically)!
Akanksha is a postgraduate in Commerce. She is a homemaker and is constantly looking for rational solutions that keeps it all easy-peasy around the kitchen. She believes in engaging with her readers through a personal touch while keeping up with their rationale to help them with better analysis and pro decisions. To every woman out there, homemaker or working, her shout out is – “You deserve it!!”.